Sunday 20 June 2010

Lissie + Alan Pownall @ Night and Day, Manchester, 17 June 2010

Its unusual to arrive at Night and Day on a Thursday evening and find a queue halfway up the street, but it signals that the popularity tipping point may have been reached for Illinois-born Lissie. Real name Lissie Maurus, the 27 year old has her first album, Catching a Tiger, out on Columbia on Monday and the recent single When I'm Alone has been getting quite a lot of airplay. I had been listening to her EP, Why You Runnin' on repeat, and was keen to see if she was as good live as she sounded on record.


But before she came on it was joint headliner Alan Pownall. He struggled somewhat, as a large part of the crowd, who had clearly come for Lissie, talked loudly throughout his set and he had to repeat himself a number of times. A song of his, Take Me, I'd heard previously and he began with the reggae-tinged number. He has a kind of Jason Mraz thing going on combined with a bit of Jack Johnson - whether you see this as a good thing or not is purely down to taste. I can see clear songwriting talent but he wasn't to Mr Noggin's liking. What was clear was that he is being heavily pushed by his label, with flyers and leaflets everywhere, but there was a blandness to some of the songs that contrasted with potential hits such as Colourful Day. To be honest, I probably won't buy the album. No doubt he'll do well anyway.



The crowd were good and attentive for Lissie, who got huge cheers. She started off with my absolute favourite, Wedding Bells, which has strangely not been included on the album. Its a yearning song of lost love which has been known to make girls cry on first listen. The crowd were visibly more animated by single When I'm Alone, and by her popular Lady Gaga cover Bad Romance. As a non-Gaga fan, they left me kind of cold. Much more interesting was the proper country track Oh Mississippi and Everywhere I Go, which gave her a chance to show off her really very spectacular voice.

It was a funny old gig, and I have to be honest, I turned into a bit of a music snob about it. A lot of the crowd maybe didn't go to gigs that often and were really irritating to those who were just trying to hear the music. Plus I had the underlying feeling that both Lissie and Alan had talents that were in danger of being diluted into bland folky-pop in order to appeal to the mainstream. That being said, there was some great spine-tingly moments that I wouldn't have missed for the world, and I will definitely keep an eye on these two.

PS. Apologies for the terrible photos, I blame it on the light!

No comments:

Post a Comment